If you love the taste and aroma of a creamy Almond Milk Latte but don’t feel like paying the hefty price tag that usually comes with this coffee shop indulgence – never fear! Today, I’m putting on my barista hat to show you how you can make your own smooth and creamy almond milk latte right in the comfort of your own home.
Delicious Almond Milk Latte
Last night the clocks went forward here in the UK. Even though I’m delighted that daylight saving means we are heading toward warmer weather and lighter evenings, one less hour in bed means a little morning pick-me-up is in order. Enter my delicious, better than Starbucks, smooth and creamy vanilla almond milk latte to power you through the day!
If you’re looking for more delicious drink recipes, I’ve got plenty more for you to choose from. Head over to drinks and smoothies, where you’ll find everything from a collection of Delicious Matcha Green Tea Drinks to a refreshing Pineapple Passion Collagen Smoothie.
Why You’ll Love This Almond Milk Latte
- Dairy-free and vegan
- Perfectly spiked with vanilla and pure almond extract
- Smooth and just the right amount of foamy
- Quick and easy ~ comes together in just 6 minutes!
- So much cheaper than your favorite coffee shop
A good latte requires two simple ingredients (espresso and milk) and a few basic steps. But for me, the game changer is in the delicious added flavors. And not those sugary coffee shop syrups ~ just pure flavor extracts. It’s time to get excited about your new favorite coffee beverage.
- Espresso Coffee: Prepare an espresso using your favorite brand, or you can make a strong coffee. The best coffee for this recipe will always be what you like most.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: A great dairy alternative with a subtle nutty flavor that doesn’t overwhelm the taste of the coffee. Please don’t buy into purchasing a special barista brand of almond milk for this recipe due to claims it foams better. You’ll find the ingredients often include added sugars and inflammatory sunflower oils. Getting a brilliant foam is all in the technique. I get great results from unsweetened almond milk made from almonds and water. The brand I use is Rude Health Unsweetened Ultimate Almond Organic Long-Life Milk.
- Coconut Sugar: Sweetens with a hint of caramel flavor. You could also use maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey if you’d prefer. All sweeteners are optional additions.
- Vanilla Extract: Optional but recommended. Vanilla adds its beautiful aroma and subtle sweetness.
- Almond Extract: Optional and a little controversial as you want to avoid overpowering the coffee. The almond extract enhances the delicious nuttiness of the drink. A delightful flavor combination when your coffee is robust enough to handle it!
How to Make an Almond Milk Latte: Step-By-Step Instructions
- Heat Milk
Add the almond milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract to a saucepan and gently heat until it is hot but not boiling.
- Froth Milk
Once you can see steam rising from the surface of the milk, use an electric milk frother and carefully froth the almond milk until it’s foamy.
- Pour Coffee
Divide the espresso between two mugs.
- Pour Milk
Slowly pour the frothed milk into the coffee mug, using a spoon to hold back the foam. Stir to combine. Using the same spoon, scoop out the foamy milk over the top of the latte.
Find the recipe card with exact ingredients and full recipe instructions at the bottom of this page. ⇩Jump to Recipe
Recipe Tips for the Best Almond Milk Latte
- Your coffee should be strong. A traditional latte is all about the espresso, which has an intensely strong flavor. But you can make this recipe with something other than espresso. You can use your regular ground coffee and even instant coffee – just make it strong! That way, the almond milk won’t steal the spotlight in your hot latte; but perfectly complement its richness.
- Heat the almond milk low and slow. Heating it too quickly can cause it to scorch, ruining the flavor of your latte. Also, avoid adding cold almond milk to your latte, as the acidity in the coffee will cause it to curdle and separate.
- Steam before frothing. The perfect balance of steam and froth will bring out the deliciously creamy texture in your latte! Heat the almond milk until you can see the steam rising from its surface, then froth with an electric milk frother for at least 2 minutes for the best results.
More Drink Recipes
If you like the look of this almond milk latte recipe, here are some more drink recipe ideas:
- 23 Delicious Matcha Green Tea Drink Recipes
- Pineapple Passion Collagen Smoothie
- Very Berry Breakfast Smoothie
Thinking of making this recipe? Share your thoughts in the comment section and provide a star rating! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I always LOVE hearing from you.
Printable Recipe Card
How to Make an Almond Milk Latte at Home
If you love this recipe, rate it with 5 stars below!PRINT PIN RATE
- Prepare: Gather and prepare your ingredients.
- Heat Almond Milk: Add the almond milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract to a saucepan and gently heat until it is hot but not boiling.
- Froth Milk: Once you can see steam rising from the surface of the milk, use an electric milk frother and carefully froth the almond milk until it's foamy ~ about 2 minutes.
- Pour Coffee: Divide the strong coffee between two coffee mugs.
- Pour Milk: Slowly pour the frothed almond milk into the coffee mug, using a spoon to hold back the foam. Stir to combine.
- Add Froth: Using the same spoon, scoop out the foamy milk over the top of the latte.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
Nutrition Disclaimer: Nutritional information is estimated using an online nutrition calculator. For accuracy, we recommend you calculate using the exact ingredients and brands you used.
Frequently Asked Questions
No! You can experiment with other non-dairy milk, like coconut milk, oat milk, soy milk, or even homemade almond milk. Any of these different options is a great alternative, but remember, you will get different flavors with all of them. If you prefer to use dairy products, then regular whole milk (cow’s milk) works well too.
There are several different ways to make frothy coffee drinks. You could use a milk steamer, a regular blender, an immersion blender, or whisk by hand (although this will take quite some time). You can even pour the warm milk into a jar with a lid and shake it vigorously until foam forms.
Make the latte per recipe instructions, then chill in the refrigerator. Once cold, pour the latte into a tall glass filled with ice cubes. And there you have it, a refreshing iced latte.
No! You can make espresso at home with a French Press, a Moka Pot, or an AeroPress. Failing that, you can use a strong coffee for this recipe, which will taste just as good.
Yes! If you prefer instant coffee, you will like its flavor in your homemade almond latte. Just remember to make it very strong so the flavor holds up against the almond milk and other flavors in the drink.