If you want to turn into a cauliflower lover, then this Creamy Cauliflower Mash recipe will do the trick. Dish up a scoop of this creamy, herby mash and reap all the benefits of its nutritional goodness!
Now let’s be honest, is Cauliflower Mash a like-for-like replacement for buttery mash potatoes? No, it’s really not! However, is Creamy Cauliflower Mash totally delicious in its own right? Hell Yeah!
In just one mouthful of tasting this Creamy Cauliflower Mash with Thyme, I have gone from being a Cauliflower hater to a Cauliflower lover. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a meat and potato girl, through and through. So, the thought of choosing cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes seemed pretty absurd at first. But, three simple ingredients has made it happen.
MAKE CAULIFLOWER MASH WITH JUST 3 INGREDIENTS
- Cream Cheese
- Fresh Thyme
Of course, we’re going to add Salt and Pepper. But they’re a pantry staple, so they’re a given in my book!
If you’re looking for a dairy-free option, you can swap out the cream cheese and add a little olive oil. It will change the flavour slightly, but you will still have a deliciously creamy mash.
WHY CAULIFLOWER MASH?
It all started when I was trying to get more varieties of vegetables into my diet. A quick search on the internet brought my attention to the massive buzz surrounding cauliflower. I know, I’m late to the party!
If you’re an avid food blog reader or Instagram scroller, you’ll likely know, cauliflower is an alternative ingredient in all kinds of recipes these days. From pizza crust and buffalo wings to cauliflower steaks and mashed ‘potatoes’.
So, as I was making a Chicken Chasseur, I thought I’d attempt to make my version of Creamy Cauliflower Mash. Something light and dreamy to mop up the delicious sauce. And, you know what, I haven’t stopped making it since!
And, the fact that you can eat it without guilt is awesome!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF EATING CAULIFLOWER?
A great reason to incorporate cauliflower into your diet is because of its nutritional benefits. Cauliflower is a good source of fibre, vitamins and antioxidants. Take a look at what cauliflower contains and what it can do for you.
- Prevents constipation
- Maintains a healthy digestive tract
- Lowers risk of obesity
- Reduces the risk of diabetes
- Regulates the immune system and inflammation
- Lowers risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Shown to reduce the risk of breast, reproductive cancers, lung and colon cancer
- Great for improving your sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory function
- Improves calcium absorption and as a result, supports bone health
HOW DO YOU MAKE CAULIFLOWER MASH WITH THYME?
Check out the below step-by-step instructions, or scroll down to find the printable recipe card.
STEP-BY-STEP RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Prepare your ingredients and get your equipment ready.
Bring a saucepan of water 1-inch deep to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets into the steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes or until really soft. If there’s a slight bite, you could end up with a lumpy mash.
If you don’t have a steamer, you can boil the florets in the saucepan. Ensure the cauliflower is submerged in boiling water.
After 10 minutes, stick a fork into a cauliflower floret to check it has completely softened.
Now, drain the water from the saucepan (and put to one side as you will need this later) and pour the cauliflower florets from the steamer basket onto a kitchen towel. Pat the cauliflower dry, removing any excess water.
An important step that will ensure the mash is creamy, not watery.
Now place the cooked cauliflower florets, cream cheese, thyme leaves, salt and pepper into the saucepan.
Using an immersion blender, blend for 2 minutes or until the cauliflower is smooth and creamy.
Serve and enjoy!
Creamy Cauliflower Mash with Thyme
If you love this recipe, rate it with 5 stars below!PRINT PIN RATE
- Measuring Spoons
- Saucepan with Steamer Basket
- Kitchen Towel
- 750 g Cauliflower Florets
- 1 tablespoon Cream Cheese, (Full Fat)
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme , Remove leaves
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, (Freshly Ground)
- Prepare your ingredients and get your equipment ready.
- Bring a saucepan of water 1-inch deep to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets into the steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes until tender.
- After 10 minutes, stick a fork into a cauliflower floret to check it has completely softened. Now, drain the water from the saucepan (and put to one side as you will need this later) and pour the cauliflower florets from the steamer basket onto a kitchen towel. Pat the cauliflower dry, removing any excess water.
- Now place the cooked cauliflower florets, cream cheese, thyme leaves, salt and pepper into the saucepan. Using an immersion blender, blend for 2 minutes or until the cauliflower is smooth and creamy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
Nutrition Disclaimer: Nutritional information is estimated using an online nutrition calculator. For accuracy, we recommend you calculate using the exact ingredients and brands you used.
I hope you LOVE this recipe as much as I do! It’s
- Incredibly creamy
- Warm and peppery
- Super nutritious
- Simple to make
And, if you do get the chance to give this Cauliflower Mash with Thyme at try, please drop me a note in the comment section and provide star rating. I’d love to know what you think.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
You can also stay up to date with new posts and healthy REAL FOOD recipes by subscribing to The Real Food Geek mailing list below.