Welcome to the oh-so-yummy world of broccoli cheese soup! THE BEST soup recipe I know you’ll want to make again and again. It’s a comforting bowl of goodness with a super-smooth and creamy texture. Ideal for lunch or dinner served with warm crusty sourdough.
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, small dice
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
6 cups (500 g) chopped broccoli, including stalk
4 cups (950 ml) chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper*
1/3 cup (40 g) grated sharp (mature) cheddar cheese (avoid pre-shredded cheese)*
1/4 cup (25 g) grated parmesan cheese (avoid pre-shredded cheese)*
1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream (double cream)
- Fry: Heat the olive oil in a large casserole pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion to the pan and fry until they soften and turn translucent – about 6 minutes.
- Simmer: Add the broccoli, chicken stock, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Then, turn the heat down and gently simmer for 15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Remove the pan from the heat, and blend the soup with an immersion blender until it’s smooth.
- Blend: Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it has a smooth consistency.
- Heat: Put the pan back on the heat, and add the cheddar, parmesan, and heavy cream, holding back a little cream to drizzle on the top of the soup if desired. Stir until the cheese has melted and the soup is piping hot – about 2-3 minutes.
- To Serve: Ladle the soup into bowls, and drizzle with cream.
*Avoid Pre-Shredded Cheese: Pre-shredded or pre-grated cheese often contains anti-caking agents that affect how the cheese melts, and how it tastes. For best results, shred (grate) the cheese yourself at home.
Pepper: This soup is purposely peppery. If you’d like less pepper in your soup, reduce the amount to 1/2 a teaspoon.
Leftover Soup: Broccoli Cheese Soup will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container.
Food Safety: Once cooked, refrigerate within 2 hours of being left at room temperature to avoid bacteria growth.
Reheating Instructions: Pour the soup into a microwave-safe dish and cover it loosely with a microwave-safe lid. Heat on high for 3-5 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Serve piping hot. Please note: all microwaves may vary. Alternatively, pour the soup into a saucepan and heat gently until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: homemade broccoli cheddar soup recipe, broccoli soup recipe, delicious soup, creamy soup, easy soup recipes, easy recipe, ultimate comfort food, hearty soup, keto broccoli cheese soup, delicious broccoli cheddar soup