If you’re looking for a simple recipe to make your friends and family smile this season, check out this Easy Candied Walnuts Recipe. Not only is it quick and easy to make, but these walnuts triple up as delicious snacks, great party appetizers, and edible gifts that everyone will love!
- Walnuts: the star of the dish. A deliciously robust nut that holds its own when smothered with caramel crunch.
- Coconut Sugar: a natural sugar with a rich caramel flavor.
- Honey: a mellow natural sugar.
- Butter: adds a decadent richness. You can swap butter with coconut oil if you prefer.
- Ground Almonds: add a lovely texture to each bite.
- Mixed Spice (or pumpkin spice mix): for festive flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: takes these nuts to next-level divine.
- Sea Salt Flakes: To bring out all the flavors.
How to Make Easy Candied Walnuts: Step-By-Step
Place the coconut sugar, honey, and water into a saucepan, and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Then, turn up the heat to medium and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes until the mixture thickens.
Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add Nuts and Flavor Boosters
Add the walnuts, ground almonds, mixed spice, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Stir the Mixture
Working quickly, stir with a wooden spoon until the nuts are well coated.
The nuts will be extremely hot, so carefully tip them out onto the prepared baking sheet and spread them into a single layer using a knife. Leave them to cool completely.
Divide the candied walnuts into serving bowls, or pack them into gift bags tied with ribbon.
Find the recipe card with exact ingredients and full recipe instructions at the bottom of this page. ⇩
- Spicy Candied Walnuts: If you like things spicy, give them a kick with ¼ ~ ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, depending on how hot you like it.
- Maple Candied Walnuts: Using pure maple syrup instead of honey gives these candied walnuts a delicious maple-flavored sweetness.
- Chocolate Candied Walnuts: For a truly decadent treat, try drizzling the walnuts (once cooled) with some melted chocolate. I like dark chocolate for the richest flavor, but if you prefer, you can use milk or white chocolate.
- Cinnamon Candied Walnuts: Swap out the mixed spice with cinnamon for a classic festive flavor.
- Ditch The Walnuts: Not a fan of walnuts, no problem. You can use pecans, cashews, almonds, any other nut, or a combination of nuts.
- How to stop the nuts from sticking together: As soon as the sugar syrup starts to cool, the nuts will start sticking together. So work quickly to get the walnuts onto the baking sheet, and spread them out into a single layer.
- Line the baking sheet: To prevent the walnuts from sticking to the baking sheet with no chance of release, line it with parchment paper or use a silicone cooling mat. It’s worth doing, trust me!!
How Do I Serve Easy Candied Walnuts?
My favorite way to enjoy candied walnuts is simply as a tasty snack. But there are so many ways to use them. For example:
- Gifting: During Christmas and birthday seasons, Easy Candied Walnuts make great gifts – just pop them into a cellophane bag and tie them with a beautiful ribbon.
- Cheese plate: They’re a great addition to a cheese plate or charcuterie board at gatherings and parties.
- Toppings: Easy Candied Walnuts are a fantastic crunchy topping for yogurt, yogurt parfaits, nice-cream, and ice-cream sundaes all year round. They can also be used as salad toppers in place of croutons.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This recipe is gluten-free. Always check the labels of your mixed spice to ensure no wheat, barley, or rye has been added.
Yes! Let the walnuts cool completely, transfer them to an airtight container and then store them for 5-7 days at room temperature. After that, they will start to go bad.
Yes! This candied walnut recipe is vegetarian.
No! This recipe is not vegan, as it contains butter and honey. To make the recipe vegan, swap the butter with coconut oil and the honey with pure maple syrup.
More Snack Recipes
If you like the look of these easy candied walnuts, here are some more delicious snack recipes for you to try.
- 3 Ingredient Fat Bombs (Keto)
- Chocolate Caramel Puffed Rice Bars
- Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Black Forest Fruits Chia Pudding
- Homemade Chocolate Buttons Recipe
- 38 Healthy Matcha Green Tea Snacks and Desserts
Thinking of making this recipe? Please drop me a note in the comment section and provide a star rating! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I ALWAYS LOVE hearing from you.
Full Printable Recipe Card
Easy Candied Walnuts Recipe
If you love this recipe, rate it with 5 stars below!PRINT PIN RATE
- Prepare: Gather and prepare your ingredients. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Sugar Syrup: Put the coconut sugar, honey, and water into a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Then, turn up the heat to medium and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Melt: Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Stir: Add the walnuts, ground almonds, mixed spice, vanilla extract, and salt, and stir with a wooden spoon until the nuts are well coated. The nuts will be extremely hot, so carefully tip them out onto the prepared baking sheet and spread them into a single layer using a knife. Leave them to cool completely.
- Serve: Divide the candied walnuts into serving bowls, or pack them into gift bags tied with ribbon.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
Nutrition Disclaimer: Nutritional information is estimated using an online nutrition calculator. For accuracy, we recommend you calculate using the exact ingredients and brands you used.