Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links. I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
This green goddess dressing is simply irresistible. It’s bursting with fresh herbs that bring incredible flavor to your salads and veggie-packed nourish bowls. And that’s not all. This heavenly dressing also triples up as a dip for your favorite chips and veggies, a delectable sauce for pasta, and a mouth-watering marinade for chicken and fish.
What is Green Goddess Dressing?
Green goddess dressing is a famous condiment that has been around for decades. But have you ever wondered where this delicious creamy green sauce comes from?
The origins of green goddess dressing trace back to early 1920s California. As the story goes, the dressing was the masterpiece of chef Philip Roemer of the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. He created the dressing in honor of actor George Arliss, who was starring in a play called “The Green Goddess.”
The dressing quickly became a sensation in San Francisco and soon spread to other parts of the country. The original recipe included anchovy, garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, tarragon, chives, and lemon juice. These ingredients created a tangy, herbaceous flavor that perfectly complemented the fresh greens in a salad. Over the years, the recipe for green goddess dressing has evolved, with some variations, including avocado, cilantro, and even jalapeno. But the core ingredients of anchovy, herbs, and mayonnaise or sour cream often remain the same.
Today, I’m sharing my version of green goddess dressing with you. It’s a lighter recipe packed with nutrition without compromising on flavor!
This Green Goddess Dressing is:
Fresh & Vibrant
Loaded with Nutrients
Great for Meal Prep
Green Goddess Dressing Recipe Ingredients
You can whip up a tasty green goddess dressing using ingredients that are easy to find at your nearby grocery store. It’s a quick and easy recipe that you’ll love!
- Fresh Herbs: I make this recipe with my tried and true combination of fresh herbs – parsley, basil, mint, and chives. They are the star of the show!
- Avocado: For its creamy and buttery texture. As a bonus, the addition of avocado elevates the nutritional value of the dressing significantly.
- Quark & Greek Yogurt: A classic green goddess dressing will likely be heavy on mayonnaise, sour cream, or both. In this recipe, I’m ditching them in favor of quark and Greek yogurt. Together they provide the same tangy flavor and creamy texture you may be used to but make the dressing much lighter.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Adds vibrancy and rounds out the flavors.
- Green Olives: Traditional green goddess dressing contains anchovies, but I prefer to get the savory briny flavor from olives in this recipe.
- Garlic: For a nice kick and depth of flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: For richness. And also for a dose of healthy fats to help the body absorb the vitamins in the dish.
- Salt & Pepper: Seasoning makes the flavors pop!
Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions
How to Make Green Goddess Dressing
Once you’ve prepared your ingredients, this green goddess dressing comes together in less than five minutes. It really couldn’t be easier. Here’s how:
- Add Ingredients
Add all the ingredients to a food processor (or high-speed blender).
- Blend Ingredients
Blend until smooth.
See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full recipe and ingredient list.Jump to Recipe
~ Culinary Medicine Scoop ~
What are the Potential Health Benefits of Herbs?
Adding loads of fresh herbs to a green goddess dressing is a game-changer. Not only does it enhance the flavor profile of the dressing, but it also adds a ton of health benefits. Here are just a few of them:
1Health Benefits of Basil
Basil is not only a flavorful ingredient in cooking but also a nutritional powerhouse. This aromatic herb contains essential nutrients, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease1. Basil is rich in vitamins A and C, essential for a healthy immune system2 and healthy skin3. There is even some evidence to suggest that basil may help reduce stress4. However, more research is needed.
2Health Benefits of Parsley
Parsley is another excellent source of vitamins A and C. These vitamins act as antioxidants that help prevent toxic free radicals from damaging cells5. In addition, parsley may help regulate blood sugar levels, beneficial for those with high blood sugar, and reduces blood pressure for improved heart health6.
More Delicious Sauces and Condiments
Green Goddess Dressing ~ Full Recipe
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 cup (20 g) fresh basil
- ⅓ cup (20 g) fresh parsley
- ¼ cup (6 g) fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp fresh chives snipped
- 1 ripe avocado flesh
- ¾ cup (150 g) quark or low fat cream cheese
- ⅔ cup (150 g) thick Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 g) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped green olives
- 1 garlic clove sliced
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare: Gather and prep your ingredients.
- Blend: Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth. That's it!
I can’t wait for you to make this green goddess dressing for yourself! Get in touch via the comments section, and let me know how it turns out.
Thanks for stopping by!