This Green Goddess Dressing is simply irresistible. It’s bursting with fresh herbs that bring incredible flavor to your salads and veggie-packed nourish bowls. And that’s not all. This heavenly dressing also triples up as a dip for your favorite chips and veggies, a delectable sauce for pasta, and a mouth-watering marinade for chicken and fish.
- What is Green Goddess Dressing?
- Why You’ll Love This Green Goddess Dressing
- Ingredients for Green Goddess Dressing
- Recipe Notes
- How to Make Green Goddess Dressing: Step-By-Step Instructions
- Nutrition Tips: The Potential Health Benefits of Herbs
- Recipes that Use Green Goddess Dressing
- More Delicious Sauces and Condiments
- Printable Recipe Card
- Pin Recipe for Later!
What is Green Goddess Dressing?
Green goddess dressing is a famous condiment that has been around for decades. But have you ever wondered where this delicious creamy green sauce comes from?
The origins of green goddess dressing trace back to early 1920s California. As the story goes, the dressing was the masterpiece of chef Philip Roemer of the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. He created the dressing in honor of actor George Arliss, who was starring in a play called “The Green Goddess.”
The dressing quickly became a sensation in San Francisco and soon spread to other parts of the country. The original recipe included anchovy, garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, tarragon, chives, and lemon juice. These ingredients created a tangy, herbaceous flavor that perfectly complemented the fresh greens in a salad. Over the years, the recipe for green goddess dressing has evolved, with some variations, including avocado, cilantro, and even jalapeno. But the core ingredients of anchovy, herbs, and mayonnaise or sour cream often remain the same.
Today, I’m sharing my version of green goddess dressing with you. It’s a lighter recipe packed with nutrition without compromising on flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Green Goddess Dressing
- Fresh and vibrant
- Loaded with nutrients
- Great for meal prep
- Incredibly versatile
Ingredients for Green Goddess Dressing
You can whip up a tasty green goddess dressing using ingredients that are easy to find at your nearby grocery store. It’s a quick and easy recipe that you’ll love!
- Fresh Herbs: I make this recipe with my tried and true combination of fresh herbs – parsley, basil, mint, and chives. They are the star of the show!
- Avocado: For its creamy and buttery texture. As a bonus, the addition of avocado elevates the nutritional value of the dressing significantly.
- Quark and Greek Yogurt: A classic green goddess dressing will likely be heavy on mayonnaise, sour cream, or both. In this recipe, I’m ditching them in favor of quark and Greek yogurt. Together they provide the same tangy flavor and creamy texture you may be used to but make the dressing much lighter.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Adds vibrancy and rounds out the flavors.
- Green Olives: Traditional green goddess dressing contains anchovies, but I prefer to get the savory briny flavor from olives in this recipe.
- Garlic: For a nice kick and depth of flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: For richness. And also for a dose of healthy fats to help the body absorb the vitamins in the dish.
- Sea Salt Flakes and Pepper: Seasoning makes the flavors pop!
How to Make Green Goddess Dressing: Step-By-Step Instructions
Once you’ve prepared your ingredients, this green goddess dressing comes together in less than five minutes. It really couldn’t be easier. Here’s how in two simple steps:
- Add Ingredients
Add all the ingredients to a food processor (or high-speed blender).
- Blend Ingredients
Blend until smooth.
Find the recipe card with exact ingredients and full recipe instructions at the bottom of this page. ⇩
Nutrition Tips: The Potential Health Benefits of Herbs
Adding loads of fresh herbs to a green goddess dressing is a game-changer. Not only does it enhance the flavor profile of the dressing, but it also adds a ton of health benefits. Here are just a few of them:
1. Health Benefits of Basil
Basil is not only a flavorful ingredient in cooking but also a nutritional powerhouse. This aromatic herb contains essential nutrients, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease [Source]. Basil is rich in vitamins A and C, essential for a healthy immune system [Source] and healthy skin [Source]. There is even some evidence to suggest that basil may help reduce stress [Source]. However, more research is needed.
2. Health Benefits of Parsley
Parsley is another excellent source of vitamins A and C. These vitamins act as antioxidants that help prevent toxic free radicals from damaging cells [Source]. In addition, parsley may help regulate blood sugar levels, is beneficial for those with high blood sugar, and reduces blood pressure for improved heart health [Source]
Recipes that Use Green Goddess Dressing
Green goddess sauce + green lentil fusilli + crispy shallots = one heck of a TASTY pasta dish. It’s creamy, herby, and seriously indulgent.
You’re going to be obsessed with this green goddess salad! It’s fresh, flavorful, and satisfying. Enjoy as a hearty meal or as a side dish.
More Delicious Sauces and Condiments
- Pickled Red Onions
- Homemade Chunky Salsa
- 3-Ingredient Stir Fry Sauce
- Spicy Mango Salsa
- Cranberry Sauce
- Super-Green Pesto
Thinking of making this recipe? Share your thoughts in the comment section and provide a star rating! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I always LOVE hearing from you.
Printable Recipe Card
Green Goddess Dressing
If you love this recipe, rate it with 5 stars below!PRINT PIN RATE
- 1 cup (20 g) fresh basil
- ⅓ cup (20 g) fresh parsley
- ¼ cup (6 g) fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- 1 ripe avocado, flesh
- ¾ cup (150 g) quark, or low fat cream cheese
- ⅔ cup (150 g) thick Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 g) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped green olives
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare: Gather and prep your ingredients.
- Blend: Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth. That's it!
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
Nutrition Disclaimer: Nutritional information is estimated using an online nutrition calculator. For accuracy, we recommend you calculate using the exact ingredients and brands you used.