Supercharge your mornings with this Pineapple Passion Fruit Collagen Smoothie. This delicious and nutritious breakfast drink or snack is loaded with avocado, pineapple, passion fruit, mango, kale, and collagen peptides. Bring on those tropical vibes!
UPDATED & IMPROVED RECIPE!
Set the stage for a healthier, more energetic day with a delicious pineapple passion fruit smoothie! This convenient and nutritious smoothie is packed with fruit, vegetables, and collagen peptides to give you the energy and focus you need to power through your morning.
Not a fan of adding collagen to smoothies? Try this Very Berry Smoothie instead.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant structural protein in the human body, providing essential support, strength, and elasticity to skin, bones, muscles, and connective tissues. Unfortunately, collagen production declines with age, leading to problems like wrinkles, joint pain, muscle weakness, leaky gut, brittle nails, and thin hair. [Source]
So, what can you do to boost collagen production? First and foremost, if you eat a varied and balanced diet, your body likely makes enough collagen for your needs. Regularly eating foods rich in protein, vitamin C, and zinc will help give your body the resources it needs to produce collagen naturally. [Source]
But, like me, if you’re looking for an extra boost, you can supplement your diet with bovine collagen peptides, a bioavailable form of collagen. [Source]
And yes, it works brilliantly in smoothies!
As with any supplement, it’s essential to consult with a healthcare professional before adding collagen peptides to your routine to ensure they align with your individual health goals. And then, always opt for premium sources of collagen peptides for collagen recipes.
What are Bovine Collagen Peptides?
Bovine collagen peptides are a type of collagen supplement derived from the skin, bones, and connective tissues of cows (bovines). But don’t worry. It’s odorless, flavorless, and dissolves easily in liquid! Making it the perfect type of collagen for smoothies.
Bovine collagen peptides are typically hydrolyzed, which means they undergo a process that breaks down the collagen into smaller, more easily digestible peptides. This makes them highly bioavailable and easy for the body to absorb. Bovine collagen contains essential amino acids, including glycine, proline, and hydroxyproline, which are essential for collagen production. [Source]
So, is a collagen peptides smoothie just another wellness trend? Maybe not. While more independent research is needed, initial studies have shown some promising health benefits associated with collagen peptides, including:
- Increased collagen production
- Healthy skin [Source]
- Reduced joint pain [Source]
- Healthy hair and nails [Source]
- Improved gut health [Source]
- Improved muscle mass [Source]
Collagen peptides are generally safe for most people to consume. [Source, Source] However, it is important to talk to your doctor before starting any new supplement, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking any medications.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Convenience: This pineapple passion smoothie is so easy to make. And using prewashed, frozen fruits and veggies saves even more time.
- Mindset: A morning smoothie sets you up for a productive day. When you feel good about what you’re putting in your body, you’re more likely to make healthy choices throughout the day.
- Satisfaction: Fiber-rich fruits, healthy fats, and collagen protein powder can make your smoothies more filling and satisfying. This may help you manage cravings and control your calorie intake throughout the day.
- Great for beginners: A pineapple passion fruit smoothie is a great way to start making smoothies, especially if you don’t like the taste of raw leafy greens and other vegetables. It has a high fruit ratio, so it’s naturally sweet and delicious. As your taste buds adjust, you can slowly reduce the fruit content and add more veggies.
This pineapple passion collagen smoothie recipe is loaded with protein, dietary fiber, and healthy fats. It is also abundant in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Collagen Peptides: Collagen peptides are a great addition to smoothies. They are tasteless, dissolve completely, and thicken the smoothie to a milkshake-like texture. I use Hunter and Gather Collagen Peptides, a premium bovine protein powder from pasture-raised EU cattle. It is gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, keto-friendly, and paleo-friendly. It also contains no GMOs.
- Fruits: This smoothie uses a trio of tropical fruits – pineapple, mango, and passion fruit. These nutrient-rich ingredients are flavorful and disguise greens well, making this a great recipe for beginners who find green smoothies too bitter.
- Vegetables: Kale is a nutrient-dense vegetable that adds essential nutrients like vitamins K, A, and C, as well as fiber, to your smoothie. It’s also low in calories and adds volume, making your smoothie more satisfying and filling.
- Avocado: Adds a creamy texture and even more health benefits to your smoothie. It’s rich in heart-healthy fats, fiber, and several vitamins and minerals.
These visual step-by-step instructions provide a quick overview of the recipe. You can find the full recipe card with the complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions at the bottom of this post. ⇩
Place the ingredients + 500ml water in a blender, blend until smooth, then serve. It couldn’t be easier!
Use a high-speed blender. Consider using a high-speed blender for your tropical smoothie. These powerful machines are like your secret weapon in the world of smoothie-making. Blend your smoothie thoroughly to ensure a consistent texture. If you’re using ingredients like spinach or chia seeds, blend them until there are no visible pieces.
Plan ahead. Save time by prepping and freezing smoothie ingredients in advance. This way, you can quickly blend your smoothie in the morning.
Experiment. The key to a balanced diet is to consume a variety of fruits and vegetables of all different colors. Don’t be afraid to mix things up!
Clean Your Blender. Clean your blender immediately after use to prevent residue from sticking and making cleaning more challenging.
- Fruits: Instead of fresh pineapple chunks, cubed mango, and passion fruit combo, try a peach pineapple smoothie or a frozen banana and pineapple smoothie. Both give you those tropical vibes you’ll want to get up for in the morning for!
- Vegetables: Spinach is a fantastic alternative here if you’d like a milder green vegetable than kale.
- Collagen Peptides: High-protein alternatives to bovine collagen powder that taste great in smoothies include marine collagen peptides, a regular protein powder, organic pea protein, Greek yogurt, silken tofu, nut butter, chia seeds, flaxseed, milk or milk alternatives, cottage cheese, kefir, spirulina, or chlorella. Always buy from reputable brands that load their products with wholesome ingredients.
- Flavor Boosters: Boost your smoothie’s flavor and nutrition content with ingredients like cinnamon and vanilla extract. You can also try herbs like mint or basil for a unique twist.
Collagen smoothies are best consumed right away as the texture will change. However, if you want to make your smoothie ahead of time, blend all the other ingredients together, portion into airtight containers, and stir in the collagen peptides right before drinking.
It’s best to drink your prepared smoothie within 24-48 hours of preparation for optimal freshness.
If your smoothie separates during storage, give it a good shake or stir before drinking to evenly distribute the ingredients before adding the collagen.
This smoothie is thick and creamy, thanks to the collagen peptides, avocado, and frozen fruit. To make it even thicker for a smoothie bowl, add other real food ingredients, such as unsweetened Greek yogurt, peanut butter, chia seeds, oats, silken tofu, frozen cauliflower rice, coconut milk, organic coconut cream, or ice cubes.
To make your smoothie thinner, use fresh fruit instead of frozen, and add more liquid. Start with a little water, coconut water, almond milk, cashew milk, or regular milk, and add more until you reach the desired consistency. Avoid fruit juices like orange juice and pineapple juice, which add sugar.
Organic passion fruit is grown without synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or GMOs. Organic produce can be a good choice if you are concerned about pesticide residues or want to support sustainable farming practices. However, it is typically more expensive than conventionally grown produce. Ultimately, both organic and conventionally grown produce can be part of a healthy diet. Just be sure to wash all your fruits and vegetables well before eating them.
More Breakfast Recipes
Looking for more delicious breakfast recipes? Try these next time…
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating below! It would make my day if you could also leave a comment to help other readers and this blog. Stay in touch by SUBSCRIBING to my newsletter and following along on social media ~ INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and FACEBOOK. I can’t wait to connect!
Pineapple Passion Fruit Collagen Smoothie
If you love this recipe, rate it with 5 stars below!PRINT PIN RATE
- 20 fluid ounces (600 milliliters) filtered water
- 3 tablespoons unflavored collagen peptides
- 1 cup (65 grams) kale, tough stalks removed and leaves torn
- 1 cup (225 grams) pineapple chunks, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup (85 grams) mango chunks, fresh or frozen
- 1 passion fruit, cut in half, juicy flesh and seeds scooped out
- ½ avocado, or frozen
- 3-4 cubes of ice, optional
- Prep: Gather and prepare your ingredients.
- Place: Place all the ingredients into the high-powered blender in the order listed.
- Blend: Blend for approximately 60 seconds or until the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth and thick. There should not be any small bits of kale remaining.
- Serve: Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
Nutrition Disclaimer: Nutritional information is estimated using an online nutrition calculator. For accuracy, we recommend you calculate using the exact ingredients and brands you used.