Super-charge your mornings by sipping away on this Pineapple Passion Collagen Smoothie. A refreshing breakfast drink, loaded with nutritious avocado, pineapple, passion fruit, kale and collagen peptides. It’s healthy, it’s delicious, and it’ll bring a little tropical sunshine into your life!
A DELICIOUS COLLAGEN SMOOTHIE
Last month, I started to worry about how I’d let the impact of 2020 get so on top of me that I’d stopped caring about what I was eating AGAIN. It has been a time that I needed comfort, and for that, I turned to food. Inevitably, the weight started to pile back on.
Desperate not to get back to my heaviest weight, my solution was to ease back into a healthier routine by drinking a smoothie for breakfast. After all, it’s an easy way to pack extra fruit and veggies into your day, fill up on fibre and tackle cravings for sugary foods.
Six weeks later, I’m still drinking smoothies for breakfast every weekday, and I’m really enjoying it. I have formed a good habit, and here are the reasons why I think that’s been possible.
- Convenience – smoothies are so quick and easy to make. Especially if you are using frozen, prewashed, prepared fruits and vegetables.
- Mindset – a smoothie packed full of fruits and vegetables sets you up on the right track for the day ahead. I find myself making better choices for lunch and dinner because I want to continue being healthy (more often than not!).
- Satisfaction – Adding lots of fibrous ingredients as well as healthy fats and collagen protein powder helps me feel fuller for longer and curbs my cravings.
- Flavour – I love to add fruits that have a strong flavour to hide the taste of greens in a smoothie. What I’ve found is, the more I’m getting used to drinking smoothies, the more I’m able to cut back on fruits and add more greens. My taste buds are certainly adjusting.
HOW TO MAKE A COLLAGEN SMOOTHIE
To prove just how easy it is to make a collagen smoothie here’s the two-step process in images.
- Gather and prepare your ingredients.
- Place the ingredients + 500ml water in a blender and blend until smooth, then serve.
It couldn’t be easier!
SO, WHAT IS COLLAGEN?
Collagen is a protein that is naturally present in the human body and can be found in our tendons, ligaments, skin, muscles, bones and blood vessels. As we get older, our ability to produce collagen declines, contributing to those lovely wrinkles we all love so much! You may also find your skin has a tendency to dry out, loses elasticity, and becomes thinner. (Source) Furthermore, you could experience achy joints and notice your muscles getting weaker as you age. (Source)
With that in mind, you may consider eating more foods that contain collagen. Bone broth is ideal because it has collagen in a bioavailable form that our body can use immediately. Chicken and fish are also good options. There are also natural food sources that help with collagen production including egg whites, citrus fruits, berries, tropical fruits and leafy greens. (Source)
However, research suggests that we may also benefit from supplementing our diet with high-quality bovine collagen peptides. As MindBodyGreen explores in their article Bovine Collagen: Benefits and Why You Should Only Use Grass-Fed, this may provide us with a beneficial collagen boost.
AND WHAT IS COLLAGEN PEPTIDES?
There are two types of bovine collagen – gelatin and collagen peptides. In this recipe, I am using collagen peptides because there is less risk of any side effects like bloating. Collagen peptides are produced by breaking collagen down into small units of protein by hydrolysis so that your body can easily digest and absorb. (Source)
This process also helps collagen peptides dissolve in liquid, making it an ideal protein injection for this Pineapple Passion Collagen Smoothie. (Source) I mean, no one likes lumps in their smoothie!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF COLLAGEN PEPTIDES?
Collagen peptides (or collagen protein powder) may provide the following health benefits when consumed regularly as part of a healthy diet…
- Improved skin plumpness and hydration
- Reduced inflammation and joint pain
- Improved digestion and healing of the gut
- Reduced bone loss
- Increased muscle strength
- Improved sleep
- Hair and nail growth
ADDING COLLAGEN PEPTIDES TO A SMOOTHIE
So, we know adding collagen peptides to a smoothie may bring you some great health benefits. But what does it taste like? Well, the collagen I’m using in this recipe is 100% tasteless. It completely dissolves, and it thickens the smoothie giving it milkshake-like texture.
I recommend Hunter and Gather’s 100% Pure and Unflavoured Collagen Peptides, which is a Premium Bovine Protein Powder from pasture-raised EU cattle. It’s gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free and suitable if you are on a real food diet. It is also keto and paleo compliant. For extra peace of mind, this powder does not contain any GMO’s and the brand commit to lab-testing every batch making sure no nasties have crept in.
You can, of course, use your favourite brand of collagen peptides for this recipe. My advice is to look into the brand and their product to make sure the collagen you are adding to your smoothie is pure. That way, you and your family can rest assured you will not unknowingly be gulping down antibiotics, GMO’s or other nasty contaminants.
I’d love to know how your Pineapple Passion Collagen Smoothie turns out. Please get in touch in the comments and let me know. I hope it soon becomes a morning habit for you too!
FULL RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Pineapple Passion Collagen Smoothie
- High Speed Blender
- Chopping Board, Sharp Knife, Spoon
- 500 ml (2 Cups) Water Filtered
- 225 g (1 Cup) Pineapple Fresh or frozen
- 165 g (1 Cup) Mango Fresh or frozen
- 65 g (1 Cup) Kale Tough stalks removed
- 2 tbsp Collagen Peptides
- 1 Passion Fruit Cut in half, juicy flesh and seeds scooped out
- ½ Avocado Skin removed
- Place all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend for 1 minute until smooth.
If you get the chance to give this Pineapple Passion Collagen Smoothie a try, drop me a note in the comment section and provide a star rating. I’d love to know what you think!
You can also stay up to date with new posts and healthy real food recipes by subscribing to The Real Food Geek mailing list below.
Thank you so much for reading.