Soup, Soup, Where Art Thou Soup? It’s right here! This Roasted Butternut & Carrot Soup recipe is ready and waiting for you to fall madly in love.
Soup is an incredibly delicious way of getting plenty of veggies into your day. There’s something hugely satisfying about taking 15 minutes at lunchtime to gobble down a warm bowl of nutritious soup. It helps me feel really good about myself for the rest of the day.
This Roasted Butternut and Carrot Soup tastes incredible immediately after cooking and even better the next day, making it an ideal lunch. Make ahead and reheat on demand. A 5-minute zap in the microwave and it’s ready.
WHAT MAKES THIS A TUMMY SOOTHING SOUP?
There are so many spices to choose from and most supermarkets stock a good range. This soup recipe uses five common spices that impart great flavour. But importantly, each has been purposely selected for its tummy soothing qualities. We’re calling on the power of
- Cayenne Pepper
Let’s take a closer look.
Turmeric can aid digestion.
Cumin eliminates bloating and gas following a meal.
Coriander is said to relieve the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
Cayenne pepper produces the necessary digestive acids that can help to repair a troubled gut.
Cinnamon can help with bloating, indigestion, nausea, gas, and gastrointestinal spasms.
So, if you’re experiencing problems with your gut, try adding these ingredients to your food regularly. It could make a real difference.
HOW DO YOU ADD MAXIMUM FLAVOUR TO ROASTED BUTTERNUT & CARROT SOUP?
Well here’s the trick – roast the vegetables first. Especially sweet vegetables like carrots and butternut squash because they will caramelise in the oven.
It may take a little extra time to roast the veggies, but aside from a quick toss halfway through, the roasting time is hands-off. Therefore, you can be getting on with more important things while you let the oven do its magic.
HOW DO YOU MAKE ROASTED BUTTERNUT & CARROT SOUP WITH TUMMY SOOTHING SPICES?
Check out the below step-by-step instructions, or scroll down to find the printable recipe card.
STEP-BY-STEP RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6/ 400°F/ 200°C/ Fan 180°C.
Gather and prepare your ingredients.
Wash the butternut squash and peel with a vegetable peeler. Slice off about 1 cm from the top and bottom ends. Stand upright and carefully slice in half. Scoop out the seeds.
Wash and peel the carrots. Remove the ends.
Slice the butternut squash and carrots into chunks (about an inch in size) and place into a bowl.
Add the olive oil, garlic, cinnamon, salt and pepper to the bowl and mix until all the butternut and carrots are coated with the oil and spices.
Pour the ingredients onto a baking tray. Lay the fresh thyme over the top and put into the oven for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the tray from the oven add the onions. Give everything a good toss. Place the tray back in the oven and roast for another 20 minutes.
After 40 minutes the vegetables should be nicely roasted and full of flavour. Remove the tray from the oven and place to one side.
In a large saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high and stir in the remaining spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric). Keep stirring for about 1 minute until the spices release their aroma.
Scoop the vegetables from the baking tray into the saucepan and stir until they are coated with all the beautiful spices.
Pour the stock and coconut milk into the saucepan. Stir until well combined and bring to a boil. Now, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
Serve and enjoy!
Roasted Butternut & Carrot Soup with Tummy Soothing Spices
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Tray
- Large Saucepan
- Measuring Jug
- 500 g Carrots Chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 650 g Butternut Squash Chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Garlic Cloves Whole, slightly crushed with the back of a knife
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper (Freshly Ground)
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil Divided
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Onion Chopped into 6 wedges
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 400 g Coconut Milk
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6/ 400°F/ 200°C/ Fan 180°C.
- Get your equipment ready and prepare your ingredients.
- Place the carrot and butternut squash chunks into a large bowl. Add the cinnamon, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into the bowl and mix everything until the vegetables are evenly coated. Now, pour the ingredients out onto a baking tray in one layer (you may need to use two trays to avoid overcrowding). Place the fresh thyme on top of the vegetables and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Now, add the onions to the tray and give everything a really good toss. Place the tray back into the oven for a further 20 minutes. Now, remove the vegetables from the oven and put to one side.
- Put a large saucepan on medium-high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the remaining spices (turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper) and stir continuously for 1 minute. Next, add the vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil. Now, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove from the heat and blend the soup until smooth using an immersion blender.
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope you LOVE this recipe as much as I do!
And, if you do get the chance to give this Roasted Butternut & Carrot Soup with Tummy Soothing Spices a try, please drop me a note in the comment section and provide star rating. I’d love to know what you think.
Thanks so much for reading.
P.S. Stay in touch by connecting with me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
You can also stay up to date with new posts and healthy REAL FOOD recipes by subscribing to The Real Food Geek mailing list below.