Roasted Chili Lime Pepitas! A spicy, tangy, slightly sweet, high-protein snack. What’s more, they double as a crunchy topping that transforms salads, soups, nourish bowls, creamy dips, and more!
If you love your snacks and want an energy boost that’s not just good but seriously great for you, these roasted pepitas are just what you’ve been looking for. These little green color gems are like a flavor explosion in your mouth, with a kick of chili and tangy lime that’ll wake up your senses in the best way!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Provides a good range of nutrients: Don’t underestimate their size! Pumpkin seeds are insanely nutritious. They’re a great source of carbohydrates, fiber, amino acids, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and plant sterols. AND they contain minerals like zinc, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, and selenium. [Source] Incredible for such a tiny little seed!
- Protein-packed: As pepitas are a great source of protein, they can help you fill that hunger hole and give you a boost in energy, making them the perfect snack option if you’re on the go.
- Quick and easy to make: Chili lime roasted pepitas are a fuss-free snack, ready in less than 20 minutes.
- All-day treat: Anytime is a good time for crunchy pepitas. As a mid-morning snack, they can calm those pesky sugar cravings. They can get you through that afternoon slump. Or make them a crunchy addition to your evening stew. Anything goes!
- Suitable for a range of dietary lifestyles: They’re gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly.
If you’re looking for more delicious healthy snack ideas, I’ve got plenty more for you to choose from. Head over to snacks, where you’ll find everything from Healthy Matcha Snacks to Peanut Butter Cups and Chia Pudding.
Are you ready to make your chile lime roasted pepitas? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Raw Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds): Pepitas can be found in your grocery store’s nuts and seeds section. In the UK, they will be labeled as pumpkin seeds. You’ll want unsalted pepitas so you can control the flavor yourself.
- Mild Chili Powder: Most chili powder contains a blend of spices, like ground cumin, ground garlic, and dried oregano. This is what you want for plenty of flavor. Avoid hot chili powder unless you want the pepitas to be really spicy.
- Lime Zest: You only need the zest for this recipe. Save the lime juice for another recipe. Or, add it to a cold glass of water and hydrate!
- Honey: Honey adds a little sweetness to balance out the heat and helps the seasoning cling to the pepitas. Omit if you want to avoid added sugar.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This anti-inflammatory oil helps the pepitas crisp up.
- Sea Salt Flakes: Optional and only really needed if your chili powder doesn’t contain salt already.
These visual instructions provide a quick overview of the recipe. You can find the recipe card with the full list of ingredients and detailed recipe instructions at the bottom of this page. ⇩
1. Add the pepitas, extra virgin olive oil, and honey to a bowl and mix well.
2. Sprinkle with chili powder and lime zest
3. Mix well until the pepitas are evenly coated.
4. Spread the pepitas mixture into an even layer on a lined baking sheet.
5. Roast the pepitas for about 10-12 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt flakes (optional).
- Even Coating: Make sure each pepita is evenly coated with seasoning to ensure they all have a great flavor and crunch.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Pan: Spread the seasoned pepitas in a single layer on the baking sheet. Overcrowding the pan leads to uneven cooking and less crispy results.
- Stirring During Baking: Stir the pepitas once or twice during baking to ensure they toast evenly. This prevents any burning or uneven coloring.
- Pepitas – instead of pumpkin seeds, you can use sunflower seeds.
- Chili Powder and Lime Zest – you could use a chili lime spice blend to make this a pantry-only recipe. I recommend looking at the ingredients list to avoid any unnecessary additives.
- Honey – maple syrup is a great alternative to honey. Omit if you’re following a keto diet.
- Vegan – honey can easily be replaced with maple syrup to make this recipe vegan.
- Extra Spicy – If you want extra heat, try adding a sprinkle of cayenne pepper after baking. Or, and a version I adore, swap out the honey with hot honey. I like JD’s Original Hot Honey for this.
- Smoky – swap out half the chili powder for smoked paprika.
Here are some storage tips to help you keep your roasted pepitas fresh:
- Cool Completely: This will prevent condensation and preserve the crispiness of the pepitas.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container or bag at room temperature. Keep them in a cool, dry place, and they’ll remain fresh for up to a week. Always check for freshness.
- Refrigerate: Storing the pepitas in the refrigerator is a great way to extend shelf life. Before eating, bring them to room temperature for the best texture and flavor.
- Freezing: Portion up and place in freezer-safe airtight containers. Or you can use freezer bags and squeeze out as much air as you can to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrosting: Thaw at room temperature and eat as soon as possible for the best texture and flavor. Remember that freezing affects texture, so the pepitas will likely be less crisp. However, they’ll still taste fab-u-licious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Pumpkin seeds and pepitas are terms often used interchangeably, but there is a distinction between the two. Raw pumpkin seeds have tough cream-colored hulls. In contrast, pepitas are hull-free, green in color, and come from a specific variety of pumpkin. In essence, all pepitas are pumpkin seeds, but not all pumpkin seeds are considered pepitas. [Source]
The spiciness of Chili Lime Pepitas can vary depending on the type of chili powder blend used and personal taste preferences. Typically, these pepitas offer a moderate level of spiciness.
More Snacks to Try
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Weight Loss Tip: Pepitas are a fantastic source of plant-based protein, healthy fats, and fiber, which all play a crucial role in weight loss by promoting a feeling of fullness and reducing appetite. This can be helpful when it comes to naturally controlling calorie intake. Just be mindful of portion sizes. [Source]
The possibilities are endless! Chili Lime Pepitas can bring a little something-something to any tasty recipes that benefit from a crunchy topping.
- Salad Sprinkle: Sprinkle them over your salads to add a satisfying crunch and burst of flavor. They’re a fantastic alternative to croutons.
- Trail Mix: Combine them with other nuts, dried fruits, and even dark chocolate to create a personalized trail mix that’s both nutritious and satisfying.
- Soup and Stew Garnish: Float them on top of your favorite soups and stews to introduce a crunchy contrast to the creamy or hearty textures.
- Rice and Grain Bowls: Use them as a flavorful topping for rice bowls, quinoa dishes, or other grain-based meals.
- Homemade Salsa: Mix them into your homemade salsa for an added crunch and a tangy kick. It’s equally fantastic sprinkled over dips like hummus, labneh, baba ganoush, or whipped feta to contrast their smooth, creamy richness.
- Sandwich, Wrap, or Taco Crunch: Elevate your sandwiches, wraps, and tacos by tossing a handful of chili lime pepitas inside for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- Charcuterie Board: Include them as a component on a charcuterie or cheese board for a unique touch that your guests will love.
- Gifts: Package them in small bags or jars, tied with a ribbon, to create thoughtful and tasty homemade gifts for friends and family.
- Snack Attack: Saving the best for last–enjoy them as a simple stand-alone snack. Grab a small handful whenever you need a quick energy boost or flavorful munch.
Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating below, and/or leave a comment. To stay in touch, SUBSCRIBE to my newsletter or follow along on social media at INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and FACEBOOK. I can’t wait to chat!
Roasted Chili Lime Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
If you love this recipe, rate it with 5 stars below!PRINT PIN RATE
- 1 cup (140 grams) raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds), unsalted
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons honey, or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder blend
- 1 lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt flakes, optional
- Preparation: Gather and prepare your ingredients. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- Mix: Add the pepitas (pumpkin seeds), extra virgin olive oil, and honey to a bowl and mix well. Sprinkle in the chili powder and lime zest and toss until the pepitas are evenly coated. Spread the seasoned pepitas out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Oven Bake: Roast the pepitas in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until they turn golden brown and become crispy. Be sure to stir them once or twice during the baking process to ensure even toasting.
- Cool: Once they're done, remove the pepitas from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt flakes* (if using). Let them cool completely on the baking sheet. They will continue to crisp up as they cool down.
- Serve: Enjoy right away! Or, transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to a week. Always check for freshness.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
Nutrition Disclaimer: Nutritional information is estimated using an online nutrition calculator. For accuracy, we recommend you calculate using the exact ingredients and brands you used.