Who doesn’t love a good crispy roast potato? I’m sharing my top tips so you can make the best crispy roast potatoes every time. So whether you’re cooking up a Sunday roast or preparing for Christmas dinner, follow this recipe and enjoy some of the most delicious roast potatoes ever! Let’s get started.
3.3 lbs (1.5kg) Maris Piper potatoes, peeled, quartered, and rinsed.
2 tsp sea salt, divided, divided
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 sprigs fresh rosemary – I use half and half chopped leaves and whole sprigs. But you can use either or.
- Prep: Gather your equipment and get your ingredients ready. Preheat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC/gas 6.
- Boil: Put the chopped potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. The water should be clear. If it’s cloudy, rinse the potatoes once more. Put the saucepan on high heat, add 1 teaspoon of the sea salt, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat to medium and parboil for 8-10 minutes. The time will depend on the size of the potatoes. Keep a close eye on them from the 8-minute mark. You want the edges to have started to flake and a knife to insert without much resistance.
- Steam Dry: Once the potatoes are ready, drain them in a colander. Give the potatoes a good shake in the colander to fluff them up, then leave them to one side for 10 minutes or so until the steam and moisture evaporate.
- Heat Oil: Meanwhile, pour the olive oil into a roasting tray, and place it into the oven for 5 minutes to heat up the oil.
- Roast: The oil will be hot, so carefully tip the potatoes onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Using a metal spoon or heat-proof pastry brush, drench the potatoes with the hot fat. Season well with black pepper and the remaining salt, and place the potatoes in the hot oven for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Add: Pull the potatoes out of the oven and add the rosemary. Give everything a good toss, and pop the potatoes back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Serve: Once the potatoes have reached crispy perfection, remove the rosemary stalks (if you’ve used sprigs), pour the potatoes onto a serving dish, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 75 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Comfort food, crispy potatoes, vegan potatoes, sunday roast, christmas dinner