In our house, there is no better way to start the day than with a hearty helping of Scrambled Eggs on Toast! This recipe takes Scrambled Eggs to next-level delicious. Full of veggies, herbs and spices, these eggs will keep you full ’till lunch.
This recipe has come about because I have been trying to get more vegetables into my breakfast meal. Over the past few weeks, I have eaten eggs on toast every single day. And, I know I can do better, nutritionally speaking.
Enter, Ultimate Scrambled Eggs on Toast.
HOW NUTRITIOUS ARE ULTIMATE SCRAMBLED EGGS?
Let’s break this down. We’ve got:
- Red kidney beans for enough protein and fibre to keep you going until lunch.
- Sweet red onions and peppers to give you a vitamin C boost.
- The powerful anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric
- And, eggs – a nutritional powerhouse. In just one egg you’ll receive vitamin A, Folate, Vitamin B5, B12, B2, D, E, K, B6, Phosphorus, Selenium, Calcium and Zinc. (Source)
CAN ULTIMATE SCRAMBLED EGGS HELP WITH WEIGHT LOSS?
This Ultimate Scrambled Eggs recipe provides you with the necessary nutrients that will support your weight loss efforts or help maintain a healthy weight. Here’s how:
The Red Kidney beans and vegetables in this recipe are rich in fibre. Adding them to your eggs in the morning will fill you up more quickly and it’s likely you’ll eat less to feel full. As a bonus, these fibre-rich foods will stay in your stomach for longer so you’ll feel satisfied for longer too, warding off those hunger pangs until lunch. So, no more tummy rumbles during your morning meetings. Result! (Source)
The eggs in this recipe are high in protein. According to Healthline and the article written by Kris Gunnars BSc How Protein Can Help You Lose Weight Naturally, “Protein is the single most important nutrient for weight loss”. Gunnars goes on to say that protein can increase metabolism and reduce your appetite so that you automatically consume fewer calories.
After being in this weight loss game for several years, it’s hard to move away from the mindset that eating fat makes you fat. But, the healthy fats in the extra virgin olive oil and the eggs in this recipe can actually promote weight loss. Both fats will encourage satiety, therefore making it easier to eat less during the rest of the day. (Source)
DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TIME IN THE MORNING TO COOK BREAKFAST?
I know that many of you struggle to find time in the morning to have a cooked breakfast, whether it’s because you need to rise at the crack of dawn to commute to work, or get the kids ready and packed off to school. Well, this Ultimate Scrambled Eggs recipe can still work for you and your family.
Make it ahead the night before, and after a 30-60 second zap in the microwave, breakfast is quicker than a Starbucks queue.
Better yet, make a double, or even a triple batch and have a ready-to-go brekkie for a few days.
To store, wait until the eggs have cooled, transfer to an airtight container and then pop them in the fridge. If stored correctly, the eggs will be good for up to 4 days.
HOW DO YOU MAKE ULTIMATE SCRAMBLED EGGS?
Check out the below step-by-step instructions, or scroll down to find the printable recipe card.
STEP-BY-STEP RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Prepare your ingredients and get your equipment ready.
Crack the eggs into a small bowl, add the turmeric and whisk until well combined. Also, this will incorporate lots of air into the eggs for a light and fluffy scramble.
In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes until they start to turn translucent.
Add the red peppers, red kidney beans, red chilli, garlic, mixed herbs, paprika, salt and pepper into the pan with the onion and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
By now, the vegetables should have softened with a nice bite. When you are happy with the texture of the vegetables, turn the heat down to medium-low.
Now, slowly add the egg and turmeric mixture to the pan.
Once all the egg and turmeric mixture has been added to the pan, gently move it around with a wooden spoon until all the egg has set.
After about 2 minutes, the egg should have fully set.
Serve and enjoy!
I like Ultimate Scrambled Eggs served over two slices of crusty wholemeal bread, with a sprinkle of parsley. But it’s equally good in a tortilla wrap or in a bowl all by itself.
Ultimate Scrambled Eggs
- Chopping Board
- Sharp Knife
- Small Bowl
- Fork or Whisk
- Large Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon / Spatula
- 4 Large Eggs
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion Chopped
- 1 Red Pepper Chopped into 2cm pieces
- 400g Can Red Kidney Beans Drained and rinsed
- 1 Red Chilli Seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 Small Garlic Clove Crushed (Optional)
- 1 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ Sea Salt
- ½ Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- 100% Wholewheat Toast
- Chopped Parsley
- Prepare your ingredients and get your equipment ready.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl, add the turmeric and whisk until well combined. Also, this will incorporate lots of air into the eggs for a light and fluffy scramble.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes until they start to turn translucent.
- Add the red pepper, red kidney beans, red chilli, garlic, mixed herbs, paprika, salt and pepper into the pan with the onion and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
- By now, the vegetables should have softened with a nice bite. When you are happy with the texture of the vegetables, turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Now, slowly add the egg and turmeric mixture to the pan. Gently lift and fold the egg mixture away from the base of the pan with a wooden spoon, so the egg sets evenly. After about 2 minutes, the egg should have fully set.
- Serve and enjoy!I like Ultimate Scrambled Eggs served over two slices of crusty wholemeal bread, with a sprinkle of parsley. But it's equally good in a tortilla wrap or a bowl all by itself.
I hope you love these Ultimate Scrambled Eggs as much as I do.
If you give this recipe a try, leave a comment and rate it. I’d love to know what you think!
For more breakfast ideas, you can visit the breakfast page here.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
You can also stay up to date with new posts and healthy REAL FOOD recipes by subscribing to The Real Food Geek mailing list below.