Cozy up with a deliciously warming bowl of Vegan Cauliflower Soup. Packed with wholesome ingredients, this rich and creamy plant-based dish will make the ideal comforting meal to savor any day of the week. You won’t believe it’s dairy free!
Best Vegan Cauliflower Soup
When it comes to cauliflower, I never used to be a fan. But experimenting has shown me that its true magic is its ability to absorb whatever flavors you throw at it. Today’s deliciously creamy soup recipe highlights how to elevate cauliflower with just a few basic ingredients. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for more delicious vegan recipes, I’ve got plenty more for you to choose from. Find everything from satisfying breakfast cereals to exciting vegetable dishes and delicious chocolate treats.
Why You’ll Love this Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free
- An easy weeknight meal
- Loaded with fiber
- Cozy and comforting
This vegan cauliflower soup recipe is incredibly easy to make, requiring only 10 ingredients. With just a few steps, you can have one of the most creamy soups on the dinner table in no time. Vegan or not, the whole family will love it.
- Head of Cauliflower: The main ingredient – cauliflower soaks up all the added flavors and gives the soup a wonderfully creamy texture.
- Potatoes: To help thicken the soup and make it extra velvety without adding dairy, like heavy cream, or nuts, such as cashew cream.
- Garlic and Onions: A magical flavor transformation happens when garlic and onions get cooked together. Their natural sugars are released, which mellows the bitterness of the cauliflower.
- Fresh Thyme: For its slightly sweet and earthy flavor.
- Nutritional Yeast: To bring cheesy vibes to the soup without adding dairy.
- Vegetable Broth or Stock: Rich in flavor and essential vitamins, vegetable stock is like liquid gold to any soup.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: For richness and a dose of healthy fats.
- English Mustard Powder: For the tang, without the added sugar of the jar-brought-stuff.
- Sea Salt Flakes: To get the flavors popping.
How to Make Vegan Cauliflower Soup: Step-By-Step
There are many different ways to create a deliciously cozy soup, but my one-pot stove-top version is by far the easiest and most delicious. Check it out.
Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot and sauté the onions until they soften and brown.
- Flavor Boosters
Add the garlic, mustard powder, and sea salt, and stir to combine. Then, add the thyme.
- Cauliflower and Potatoes
Add the cauliflower florets and potatoes, and mix everything well.
Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Then, simmer over a low heat until the vegetables have softened.
- Nutritional Yeast
Stir through the nutritional yeast, and remove the woody thyme stems.
Blend the soup until it’s smooth. Serve in individual bowls.
Find the recipe card with exact ingredients and full recipe instructions at the bottom of this page. ⇩
- Sauté the onions: Take advantage of this step! Sautéing your onions in extra virgin olive oil is one of the things that gives this soup its exceptional flavor.
- Use good quality unsalted vegetable stock: A good quality vegetable stock or broth will add depth and complexity to the soup, making it more flavorful. Opt for unsalted or low-sodium stock so you can control the amount of salt that goes into your dish.
- Blend away! This is not the time for chunky soup. Once blended, both cauliflower and potatoes create a super smooth and creamy texture that’s just so comforting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Because this vegan cauliflower soup does not contain dairy, it freezes really well. So, when you have leftovers or make a big batch, let it cool to room temperature, then transfer to freezer-safe airtight containers and freeze it for up to 3 months for the best quality. I like dividing the soup into 300 g portions to make meal times waaaay easier.
Yes! Cauliflower soup can be cooked ahead of time for convenience. You’ll want to prepare the dish, let it cool, and place it in an airtight container. Then, refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
WEIGHT LOSS TIP: Cauliflower is high in fiber, a beneficial nutrient in many ways. Not only does it feed the healthy bacteria in our gut and improve digestive health, but it also slows digestion and promotes fullness. A benefit that can help us to reduce our overall calorie intake throughout the day. [Source]
More Soup Recipes
If you like the look of this creamy vegan cauliflower soup recipe, check out more of my delicious soup recipes below.
- Roasted Butternut & Carrot Soup
- Tomato Soup with Basil
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Curried Chickpea and Roasted Pumpkin Soup
Thinking of making this recipe? Share your thoughts in the comment section and provide a star rating! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I always LOVE hearing from you.
Printable Recipe Card
Vegan Cauliflower Soup
If you love this recipe, rate it with 5 stars below!PRINT PIN RATE
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 16 oz (450 g) cauliflower florets
- 16 oz (450 g) potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 4 cups (950 ml) vegetable stock, gluten-free (if required)
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Prepare: Gather and prepare your ingredients.
- Sauté: Put your dutch oven (or large pot) over a medium heat, add the olive oil and sauté the onions until they have softened and start to brown ~ about 10 minutes. Then, add the garlic, mustard powder, and sea salt. Stir to combine, and sauté for a further 1 minute. Now, add the thyme, cauliflower florets, and potatoes, and give everything a good mix.
- Simmer: Pour the vegetable stock into the pot and bring it to a boil. Then, turn the heat to low, place the lid on the pot, and simmer until the vegetables have softened ~ about 15 minutes. Once softened, stir through the nutritional yeast, and remove the thyme stalks.
- Blend: Let the soup cool slightly then blitz with an immersion blender. You could also use a regular blender or food processor.
- Serve: Pour into individual bowls, and add your favorite toppings. Some of mine include black pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh herbs, microgreens, and homemade croutons.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
Nutrition Disclaimer: Nutritional information is estimated using an online nutrition calculator. For accuracy, we recommend you calculate using the exact ingredients and brands you used.