Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links. I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Cozy up with a deliciously warming bowl of vegan cauliflower soup. Packed with wholesome ingredients, this rich and creamy plant-based dish will make the ideal comforting meal to savor any day of the week. You won’t believe it’s dairy free!
Best Vegan Cauliflower Soup
When it comes to cauliflower, I never used to be a fan. But experimenting has shown me that its true magic is its ability to absorb whatever flavors you throw at it. Today’s deliciously creamy soup recipe highlights how to elevate cauliflower with just a few basic ingredients. Enjoy!
This Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Soup Recipe is:
Gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free
An easy weeknight meal
Loaded with fiber
Cozy and comforting
Ingredients for Vegan Cauliflower Soup
This vegan cauliflower soup recipe is incredibly easy to make, requiring only 10 ingredients. With just a few steps, you can have one of the most creamy soups on the dinner table in no time. Vegan or not, the whole family will love it.
- Head of Cauliflower: The main ingredient – cauliflower soaks up all the added flavors and gives the soup a wonderfully creamy texture.
- Potatoes: To help thicken the soup and make it extra velvety without adding dairy, like heavy cream, or nuts, such as cashew cream.
- Garlic & Onions: A magical flavor transformation happens when garlic and onions get cooked together. Their natural sugars are released, which mellows the bitterness of the cauliflower.
- Fresh Thyme: For its slightly sweet and earthy flavor.
- Nutritional Yeast: To bring cheesy vibes to the soup without adding dairy.
- Vegetable Broth or Stock: Rich in flavor and essential vitamins, vegetable stock is like liquid gold to any soup.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: For richness and a dose of healthy fats.
- English Mustard Powder: For the tang, without the added sugar of the jar-brought-stuff.
- Sea Salt: To get the flavors popping.
How to Make Vegan Cauliflower Soup ~ Step-By-Step
There are many different ways to create a deliciously cozy soup, but my one-pot stove top version is by far the easiest and most delicious. Check it out.
Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot and sauté the onions until they soften and brown.
- Flavor Boosters
Add the garlic, mustard powder, and sea salt, and stir to combine. Then, add the thyme.
- Cauliflower and Potatoes
Add the cauliflower florets and potatoes, and mix everything well.
Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Then, simmer over a low heat until the vegetables have softened.
- Nutritional Yeast
Stir through the nutritional yeast, and remove the woody thyme stems.
Blend the soup until it’s smooth. Serve in individual bowls.
Full recipe and ingredients list in the recipe card below.Jump to Recipe
Tips for Making the Creamiest Cauliflower Soup
Sauté your onions.
Take advantage of this step! Sautéing your onions in extra virgin olive oil is one of the things that gives this soup its exceptional flavor.
Use good quality unsalted vegetable stock.
A good quality vegetable stock or broth will add depth and complexity to the soup, making it more flavorful. Opt for unsalted or low-sodium stock so you can control the amount of salt that goes into your dish.
This is not the time for chunky soup. Once blended, both cauliflower and potatoes create a super smooth and creamy texture that’s just so comforting.
~ Culinary Medicine Scoop ~
What are the Potential Health Benefits of Cauliflower?
1Cauliflower is an Anti-Inflammatory Food
The antioxidants in cauliflower, such as sulforaphane, can protect the body’s cells from damage caused by oxidative stress. As a result, cauliflower may play a role in reducing inflammation in the body1.
2Cauliflower Can Support a Healthy Immune System
Due to its high levels of vitamin C, cauliflower has the potential to support the immune system and reduce susceptibility to infection2.
3Cauliflower May Play a Beneficial Role in Weight Loss and Obesity Prevention
Cauliflower is high in fiber, a beneficial nutrient in many ways. Not only does it feed the healthy bacteria in our gut and improve digestive health, but it also slows digestion and promotes fullness. A benefit that can help us to reduce our overall calorie intake throughout the day3.
4Cauliflower has the Potential to Support Heart Health
Along with folate, the choline in cauliflower can help reduce the amount of homocysteine accumulating in the blood, a well-known risk factor for heart disease4.
More Soup Recipes
If you like the look of this creamy vegan cauliflower soup recipe, check out more of my delicious soup recipes below.
- Roasted Butternut & Carrot Soup
- Tomato Soup with Basil
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Curried Chickpea and Roasted Pumpkin Soup
Vegan Cauliflower Soup ~ Full Recipe
Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion roughly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 16 oz (450 g) cauliflower florets
- 16 oz (450 g) potatoes chopped into chunks
- 4 cups (950 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- Prepare: Gather and prepare your ingredients.
- Sauté: In a large pot (or dutch oven) over a medium heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions until they have softened and start to brown ~ about 10 minutes. Then, add the garlic, mustard powder, and sea salt, stir to combine, and sauté for a further 1 minute. Add the thyme, cauliflower florets, and potatoes, and give everything a good mix.
- Simmer: Pour the vegetable stock into the pot and bring it to a boil. Then, turn the heat to low, place the lid on the pot, and simmer until the vegetables have softened ~ about 15 minutes. Once softened, stir through the nutritional yeast, and remove the thyme stalks.
- Blend: Let the soup cool slightly then blitz with an immersion blender. You could also use a regular blender or food processor.
- Serve: Pour into individual bowls, and add your favorite toppings. Some of mine include black pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh herbs, microgreens, and homemade croutons.
Vegan Cauliflower Soup ~ FAQs
Yes! Because this vegan cauliflower soup does not contain dairy, it freezes really well. So, when you have leftovers or make a big batch, let it cool to room temperature, then transfer to freezer-safe airtight containers and freeze it for up to 3 months for the best quality. I like dividing the soup into 300 g portions to make meal times waaaay easier.
Yes! Cauliflower soup can be cooked ahead of time for convenience. You’ll want to prepare the dish, let it cool, and place it in an airtight container. Then, refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
Did you enjoy this vegan cauliflower soup recipe? I’d love to know how it turned out. Get in touch via the comments section, and let me know!
Thanks for stopping by!